April 15, 2013

Snake Bird

When I was in Florida, there was a bird by the pond at my boyfriend's house.  It was apparently called the snake bird.  At least, that is a nickname that this species is given.  Here's the link to Wikipedia about it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhinga.  The bird gets its nickname because of the way it swims in the water.  It swims with only it's neck showing which makes it appear as though it is a snake ready to strike.  While we were on Spring Break though, the bird had a strange habit of swimming and then simply drying itself off in the sun.  It would do this over and over and over.  It was definitely a strange looking animal when it would dry itself.  He sat with an awkward posture and of course, when he was swimming he looked just as odd.  It was very true to the "snakelike" appearance he was said to have.  Anyway, all day, for some reason, I've been thinking about this odd bird and I made up a poem about him while sitting at my desk at work.  Fortunately, I wrote it down once work was done so that I wouldn't forget it and I would be able to share it here with all of you.  














Snake Bird


I think that it's a tad absurd

That there's a creature called the snake bird.
He acts like a snake, yet he's really not.
Why, it's a strange thing to think.  Is it not?
He swims and swims and then dries his feathers
In any and every type of weathers.
In rain, sunshine, or in both togethers.
It doesn't matter if it's wet or dry
He'll keep standing there.  Do not ask him why.
As long as he can spread his wings' feathers
And once again dive to the pond's nethers.
But here is one thing of which I'm assured
I'll for sure steer clear of the weird snake bird.


 

I do think that this could use some work, but it was just something random that I had in my head.  I didn't have much time to fiddle with meter and what not, but I was more concerned with making sure that I didn't forget to share it.  I hope you enjoyed the poem!  Hooray for new poetry!

No comments:

Post a Comment