April 23, 2013

For now, it is fall.


It was 78 degrees yesterday.  If it weren't for the wind it would have been a little too warm.  Today it is in the low 40s, cold, windy, and wet.  I guess that I shouldn't question nature considering I live in Oklahoma.  I do love winter and the fall, but it's the middle of April.  The warmer spring weather needs to get started.  I thought that since there are winter/fall like conditions today, it would be fine to post this poem.  It is one I wrote last semester during that poetry course.  It's another one without rhyme.  I think that I will have to try some more poems without rhyme.  I feel as though a lot of my newer ones I've been coming up with have mostly been that so I'll try working out of my comfort zone a little more.

For now, it is fall.

Leaves are changing colors, before falling from the trees.
There is a cornucopia of reds, oranges, and yellows.
Nature is modifying its foliage to greet the new season.
The wind blows with a cool, brisk speed.
It is as though it is in a hurry to get here.
Telling us, that summer is over,
And a new phase is beginning.
Nights are longer.
Days are shorter.
Temperatures are declining.
The air is filled with the smells of autumn. 
Soon winter will be on the doorstep,
But for now we will have to be content with nature's current appearance.
For now, it is fall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment