August 19, 2013

Look out, please.

Look out, please.

I know that pedestrians
Annoy the people who drive.
But please watch out for pedestrians
Because they would much rather stay alive.
The crosswalk is really their domain.
So please do not zoom on through it.
Take caution when approaching the sidewalk
And then no one will get hit.
Walking is a form of travel
Yes, people have legs, you know.
So look out for pedestrians
And over them you won’t mow.

Have you ever been close to being hit by a car as a pedestrian?  I have.  About four times.  I work downtown in Enid, and I walk across the street to get files from another building, run things to the post office, get change from the bank, go back and forth from the lot where I park my car.  So, I use the crosswalk quite a bit.  I've almost been hit multiple times.  I'm pretty sure that two of those times, if the car had actually hit me, I would have been in the hospital with serious injuries.  Yes, that bad.  It's scary to think about.  Well, now I'm more cautious.  I pay better attention.  I watch out for those drivers who MAY NOT be paying attention.  And when I'm driving I, myself, pay more attention to the roads, especially in downtown Enid when there may be someone wanting to cross the street.  So, I guess my one thing I would ask you, as you're reading this would be to be on the look out yourself.  Watch out for pedestrians.  And, as the pedestrian, don't be the annoying kind.  Be smart and safe about crossing the street.  With that, I think both drivers and people walking will both be a little happier/safer.  :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment