October 22, 2013

Outdoor Contentment




Outdoor Contentment

The scenes of beauty
Of God’s great creation.
Give me feelings
Of peace and elation.
On a hidden trail with
Mountains, rivers, and trees
Is where I find
I’m most at ease.
The outdoor world
Relaxes my soul.
Something about it
Makes me feel whole.
I want calm and rest
For body and mind
God’s earth is the only
Treatment designed
To help relieve stress
And boost self-esteem
Or maybe in some ways
It helps blow off steam.
Being outdoors
Gives rest and renewal
By using God’s wonders
As your recovery tool.
No matter what state of mind
I can always be content
In God’s authentic world
Where my time is well spent.


Over the last three weeks or so I have been REALLY wanting to get out more.  Like, go to places and find nature trails, go hiking, canoeing, backpacking, rapelling, kayaking, horse back riding, camping, and things like that.  I want to try new things.  I want to do things I already know I love.  I want to get away.  There's just something about being outside and doing those type of things that gives me true contentment and peace.  I'm pretty sure that this urge to get away came about and has excelled when my parents visited my sister and brother-in-law in Virginia.  The fall color was just changing in the trees and they did go on a trail at one point.  I loved seeing all the pictures and it did make me quite jealous that my parents got to go.  (The pictures posted are from my sister's camera on her phone during that trip and a few old ones from a trip I had to Colorado.)  But, it also inspired me to want to get away myself.  I feel like it's almost like I'd be starting a resolution in the middle of October.  Hopefully I will be able to get out and see what nature has to offer in my home state, Oklahoma.  I can go to places I've been to before.  And, I hope to go to places I've never seen and discover something new.  It is the perfect time of year to start something like this.  It's turning to fall.  Colors of the leaves will be beautiful and the temperature won't be sizzling or freezing.  It's perfect.  Now I just need to just find a place, get out there, and start exploring.  Why do I need to wait?

No comments:

Post a Comment