March 03, 2013

Desolate Splendor

So, here is another poem that I wrote for this poetry class I took last semester.  It was the first one I ever wrote without rhyme.  It was something new for me and also my poetry is usually about happy, light-hearted things.  This was a little more serious, a little darker I guess because of what it is titled and what it is also about.  But, when I wrote it, it was around Halloween, so that suited the time of the year just fine.  It's actually become a favorite of mine out of the ones I have written.  Enjoy.




Desolate Splendor

Darkness creeps over the grass and sod. 
As fog
Slowly           
Begins
To
Appear.
The moon rises to illuminate the melancholy of God’s acre.
Night is upon the world.  But who is here to see it?
No one knows what goes on during these hours of darkness
Only the lifeless tenants behold the moonlit beauty before them.
The clouds roll away to reveal the speckled firmament. 
A vast nothingness.
A perpetual beauty.
Immeasurable.
It is a vision of unexplored uncertainty.
The mind is left to wander the celestial chasm and imagine what could be out there.
How sad it is that only the departed are awake to behold the allure of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment